Headaches have affected every one of us at one point or the other in life. This medical condition is known by the name of cephalalgia in medical phraseology. It affects your head, neck, and your scalp. As per some combined studies, 7 out of 10 people suffer from one headache at least once in a year. Minor headaches may be quickly relieved with the help of over-the-counter pain relievers. However, severe headaches can be dangerous as it may lead to a tumor, blood clot, or even a stroke.
Thus, it is imperative to understand when to take your headaches seriously, and when you can take care of it with the help of pain relievers. Medication and yoga are also helpful in treating mild headaches.
Different Headache Types: Know About it Them In Detail
There are three main types of headaches:
This headache type is not the direct result of any other medical conditions. This type includes headache types such as migraine, cluster headaches, and tension related headaches.
A secondary headache is one that is caused due to some other underlying medical condition. These conditions may include sinus infection, neck injury, etc. In fact, a secondary headache may even be a sign of a severe medical condition such as brain tumors, high blood pressure, etc.
This type of headache is a particular type of facial pain. This kind of facial pain is often sudden and affects your nerves.
Symptoms Of Headaches
A headache is often located anywhere in the head, eyes, or behind the head. The headache which is located behind your head is called an occipital headache. The headache, which is located on the top of your head, is termed as coronal headache.
Here are common symptoms of headache:
- Pain in the eyes;
- Scalp tenderness;
- A sensation of tightness in the head.
A person suffering from tension headaches feels as if there is a tight band ties around their head, and the pain spreads from and to the neck, or a dull kind of pain on both sides of the head.
When a person suffers from migraine headaches, there may be blurred vision, sensory disturbance, nausea, and light-heartedness.
Rebound headaches may have symptoms such as disruptive sleep, nasal congestion, restlessness, and neck pain.
Main Causes Of Throbbing Pain
Headaches are often considered among the most common medical complaints. This type of pain has affected all adults at one point in life.
Here are common causes of headache,
- Changes in the chemical activity of the brain;
- Pain in muscles, blood vessels, nerves in the head and neck;
- Brain tumor;
- Bleeding inside the brain;
- Hangover caused due to alcohol consumption;
- Panic attacks;
Home Remedies To Get Relief From Headache
Headaches can be highly uncomfortable to such a high level that they can even disrupt your daily life. The good news is that some home remedies can bring you relief from these headaches.
- Drink enough water as dehydration is a major cause of headache;
- Try to include some Magnesium in your diet;
- Limit your intake of alcohol;
- Try to avoid the food items which are high in histamine;
- Make sure to get adequate sleep;
- Make use of essential oils which include aromatic compounds derived from plants;
- A cold compress can be highly helpful in relieving headaches;
- Some food tolerances can also cause headaches. Thus, try to make sure that you are aware of these food tolerances;
- Caffeinated beverages can be highly useful in treating headaches;
- Acupuncture is also useful in treating headaches;
- Some people often get headaches due to strong smells. Thus, try to avoid these strong smells.
Effective Treatment For Headache
There are many effective pain relievers that can help in the treatment of headaches. Too many pain relievers may be problematic in some cases. It is always advisable to refer to a doctor who can tell you about which painkiller to take.
- Ice packs or placing a cold cloth on your forehead may also help in the treatment of any type of headache.
- It is advisable to visit a doctor when you want to treat the headache effectively.
- An eye test can also help you find the perfect treatment for your headache. The reason being that weak eyes may also result in chronic headaches.
- Going for regular walks and exercising may also aid in treating the headaches, no matter what the cause is.
- Avoiding alcohol when you are getting a headache attack is also beneficial.